Friday, September 5, 2008

"The supremely entertaining Eat, Pray, Love-a mid-thirties memoir by the endlessly talented Elizabeth Gilbert-is not just for the ladies, fellas." GQ





I misread the above review at first as reading “ . . . is just for the ladies, fellas.” I was reading it and enjoying it anyway, but now I feel less emasculated. The other book I’ve read is Chuck Klosterman’s Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. This is all to serve as a disclaimer of sorts, incase my perspective/writing style has taken on any characteristics of either writer.

I’ve been reading a lot while staying in hostels, which has been a big reminder of how lame I am. I don’t like meeting new people in a hostel type setting (much like I didn’t like meeting new people in a dorm type setting) and so have been sitting in the lounge or room reading or working on the blog. I feel more productive, but also a bit depressed by the fact that I am not a “people person.” I was telling Sue that the reason we weren’t mingling was because we were “old.” She reminded me that I am around 5 years older than a lot of the student travelers we’re coming across and that shouldn’t be a big deal. I must concede that she’s right and that even if I was 20, I would still feel uncomfortable. Then again, meeting travel-minded folks in Korea never put me off. Maybe because most of them were older or we worked together?

A reason I haven’t been hanging with Sue and Jung-Eun is because I hung around the hostel nursing my sunburn yesterday while they explored the city. This backfired for them as they know have altitude sickness, a common effect of traveling this high (we’re at something like 3500m). We’ve all been drinking coca tea, which is supposed to alleviate the effects and I feel ok, but they are pretty much out of commission. Hopefully they’re ready to go for tomorrow, when we head of on the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. I don’t want to jinx anything, but I have high expectations for this trek.

Sue says that Cusco is one of the most beautiful cities she’s ever seen. It looks pretty from the hostel window, but that’s all I can vouch for. Won’t be posting for a while as we’ll be out on the trail for 4 days. Hope everyone is well.

4 comments:

Gabel said...

I think stayin' in for a day is relaxing and a good opportunity to catch up on thoughts. You've got plenty of time ahead when you won't have that option.

I never really thought about Altitude sickness. I wonder if I would be affected by that?

Greg "Greg" H said...

Legend has it that maintaining your height and practicing jumping is the key to Altitude Sickness. I hope you have been exercising your jumping skills.

jm said...

sigh. machu picchu, I'm so jealous.

I was not a fan of eat, pray, love. but I'll wait until you're done before I give it all away by trashing it.

쓰레기통 여행 (The Voyage of Swill) said...

Jen-Alright, I'm done with the book. Spoil it for me.