Sunday, October 19, 2008

Vienna-Nothing witty





Initial thoughts: Transportation was amazing. This is a night city-the lights make it. Still good during day-Again, thanks to perfect fall weather.

Mores told me that the art in Germany (and I’d assume Austria) is vibrant, even more so than NYC-I can’t disagree. Of course I need to check out more art, but here are my uneducated and limited thoughts on what I did see:

Kunsthaus Wien by Hunderwasser-An unbelievable eco house designed by Hunderwasser that now functions as a gallery. This man’s work as an artist is eye-opening and exciting (see pics), but his dedication to “green” living throughout his life and the design of his house after that philosophy is more what is truly inspiring. This was a surprise and probably the highlight of Vienna.

Belevedere Museum-An exhibition focusing on Klimt and his colleagues and the 100th anniversary of their group show (Kunstschau) was the headliner. They recreated several rooms from the original exhibition and worked to bring as many of Klimt’s originals back to exhibit. I was struck by how sexual Klimt’s work was and how his use of patterns and color added to the sensuality. List was the other notable painter-smooth, fluid and otherworldy. A separate exhibition showed some drawn over photographs by Rainer and Roth. They reminded me of what Sue might do if she was an artist.

Hapsburg Empire to modern day Austria-Once among the largest empires in Europe, now a landlocked nation known for (outside Vienna) its racist mountain folk by others in Europe. This is what’s at stake USA. Please USA, get this election right!

The coffee was a wake-up call (not literally). I like the café culture of paying for the time and space to sit reading a paper, check email, etc. all for the price of coffee. I loved the interior of the cafes and the sense of history of sitting where Marx or Freud sat. Still, the coffee was not all its cracked up to be and that’s a big problem. More importantly, you get a shot of coffee (not espresso) for like 7 bucks. I see much wrong with American excess and the culture of bigger, stronger, faster and more, more, more (which seems to be what got us in this financial mess), but give me a bottomless cup of diner coffee over Viennese coffee anyday.

No comments: