Thursday, August 28, 2008

These vagabond shoes . . .


A few thoughts on moving out of NYC:

Ubox worldwide shipped all our important stuff (13 boxes in all) for an extremely reasonable price. It remains to be seen if they will arrive on time, in one piece (or in 13 pieces, but together), and to the right place. However, things have worked out well so far.

When Jay and Jen moved to Seville, Spain temporarily for a few months earlier this year, I remember talking to Gabel at their going away party about our New York experiences. We came to the conclusion that I, living in the Bronx and being lame by saving money and not going out, had not had the New York experience that most imagine. I didn’t live in a fun neighborhood. I rarely went out to meet new people. I went to new restaurants, but nowhere near as many as I could have. I had few walking around drunk at 6AM in Central park evenings. The lesson here: move to NYC before you’re married when you have no qualms about going out, sinking into debt, and enjoying yourself at the expense of your health. I did all that in Korea before I met Sue, but without the debt, so I guess I did ok.

I wish I had done more things that every tourist does. I never went to the Met, the statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, or a bunch of other places I should have.

I will miss NYC, but I won’t (or at least don’t want to) live here again. It was fun while it lasted and I recommend it highly, but you can only take so many years of it without becoming completely oblivious to everyone around you.

Sue and I both agreed that we hate goodbyes. Sorry for running away to a taxi during our farewell dinner in Astoria.

As a fat man, I will miss Peter Luger’s the most, with the Brooklyn Brewery a distant 2nd.

Finally, moving sucks. Don't ever do it. Just stay where you are forever.

1 comment:

jm said...

Don't feel bad about not having a "typical" New York experience--there is no such thing.

I'm so jealous of you guys! Have a great (safe) time and I'll be sure to add a link to our blog.